Bitumen Rubber is a versatile solvent free liquid membrane that can be used as a Bitumen Polymer Membrane for underground and immersed applications or used as an effective bitumen paint for general sealing applications.
Betta Bitumen Membrane
1L, 4L, 15L
- User friendly and environmentally safe
- Ability to apply in thin or thick beds
- Flexible and excellent adhesion properties
- Able to be applied onto damp surfaces (free of surface water)
- Approved for potable water (exposure of 1000mm2/L)
- Longer life than bitumen emulsion products
- Waterproof retaining walls, cellar and basement walls
- Waterproof planter boxes, garden beds, landscaping areas
- Waterproof fish ponds, stock troughs, water features
- Waterproof water tanks (suitable for galvanised, metal tanks)
- Surfaces exposed to condensation and dampness
- Damproofing concrete footings and foundations
- Gutter, roof and membrane repairs
- Rust prevention and timber rot protection
Surfaces must be prepared thoroughly before commencing. Surfaces are to be sound, stable, dry and clean, free of loose foreign matter including any surface residues or existing coatings. Buildings are to be constructed to relevant building standards and manufacturer’s recommendations are to be followed for all building materials used.
Primer: Select appropriate primer if required and apply according to the primers instructions.
Priming (Membrane applications)
- Bitumen Rubber: Self priming, diluted 1:3 parts with water for porous surfaces
- Super Primer: For non porous and smooth surfaces
- Damp Stop: For surfaces subjected to rising damp or residual moisture
Detailing: All critical areas such as joints, junctions, movement zones, penetrations and drainage points are to be correctly sealed prior to membrane application.
Membrane application: A minimum of 2 coats is to be applied at a total minimum coverage of 1.5 Litres/m2, forming a dried film thickness of approx 1.2mm. For immersed applications a total minimum coverage of 2 Litres/m2 is required. Apply subsequent coats at different directions to the previous coat. Apply by roller, brush or spray unit
Paint Application: A protective bitumen paint can be formed by mixing the Betta Bitumen Rubber and clean water at a 1: 1 ratio.
Example: If using 1litre of Bitumen rubber, add 1litre of water. This will form 2litres of Bitumen Paint
- Tack Free – 45mins
- Recoat – 1 hour
- Dry Film – 4 hours
- Tiling or toppings over – 4 hours
- Flood testing – 16 hours
- Based on normal ambient conditions of 20oC, 50% RH.
- Temperature, humidity and porosity will vary dry times.
- Note – Once dried, ensure surface is wiped clean before tiling to remove any residues
Areas OF USE
TIPS & FAQ’s
- Do not apply outside when rain is imminent
- Do not apply to surface temperatures below 5°C or above 35°C
- Not to be used in areas where solvent or petroleum based products may be spilled
- In areas subject to negative pressure or rising damp, first treat with Betta Damp Stop primer
- Finish toppings must be water based and solvent free
- Allow 10 days drying if treated area is to be flood tested
- Before commencing the application, adhesion of products to be used (primers, membranes, coatings) should be tested over a typical area of the prepared surface to ensure satisfactory adhesion